KC-10 Boom Operator Trainer (BOT)
Project Overview: The US Air Force has long used aerial-refueling simulators to train and certify KC-10 Extender refueling boom operators. The simulators, known as the Boom Operator Trainers or BOT, have received a wide range of independent upgrades and modifications to keep the trainer operational and effective. Although the trainer remained functional with the upgrades, the basic obsolescence of the trainer’s technology was not addressed and over time, the simulator suffered from supportability issues. In addition, a large recent effort to update the system with high fidelity models of selected receiver aircraft to regain certifiable performance did not achieve the intended utility for actual training use. The compounded problems of supportability and sub-par fidelity decreased the inherent value of the simulator and a change was crucial.
Upgrade Details: ACME accomplished a supportability upgrade to the two trainers that increased reliability and sustainability while also increasing training realism. The modification incorporated cutting-edge image generation and control loading technologies into the existing BOT structure.
The modification also featured:
- Upgraded image generation system with four rendering engine computer system
- Re-hosting the trainer aerodynamic software code
- New touch-screen Instructor Operator Station (IOS) control monitor on an articulated mounting arm
- Refined, more functionally organized IOS graphical user interface
- High fidelity models with articulated refueling doors
- Advanced control loading system to provide control feel to the operator
- Digitized technical support documentation package upgraded from obsolete, non-representative hard copy data
The trainer revitalization followed the USAF goal to optimize training efforts that produce highly skilled operators, a priceless force multiplier in this era of limited resources and extensive weapon system life extensions.
ACME Services Used: Mechanical Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Web Design Analysis Consulting, Fabrication, Technical Documentation, Technical Teams.